Communication unites the important skills of reading and writing with talking and listening. The teaching of communication at Harberton fulfils the statutory requirements for Talking and Listening, Reading and Writing in the Northern Ireland Curriculum for Communication.
Within the spirit of the school mission statement, our policy aims to promote the development of literacy skills which will enable our pupils to:
- Access all areas of the curriculum.
- Develop their powers of imagination and invention.
- Communicate orally and/or in writing clearly and with confidence.
This is carried out in classrooms:
- which are enabling environments where each pupil feels confident and supported in his/her learning of literacy.
- where teachers and learning assistants work as members of an informed and committed team.
- where targets are achievable, whilst expectations are consistently high.
- where the provision of resources reflects the needs of every child.
Please click here to find out more information about the Northern Ireland Curriculum for Language and Literacy.
Please click here to find out more information about the Q Skills for Communication.